Sunday, September 13, 2009

Peachy Keen

In our foray into solids thus far we have found that the little one loves peaches. I decided to stock up this past week at the farmer's market and put them in the freezer. I ended up doing peaches 3 ways and I thought I'd share. After I had peeled and pitted them I went ahead and sliced up half of them and put them in gallon bags and put them in the freezer to use for smoothies. Then I took the other half and did a quick mash with a fork so they weren't really mushy but the chunks were pretty small little triangles for Q to gnaw on. I went ahead and put them into little snack size bags with about 1/4 cup of peach chunks in each. This will hopefully be about two servings worth for him. The idea is that I'll be able to pull one bag out of the freezer and pop it in the fridge, when it comes time to eat I can put half right onto his tray and let him go to town. I also took a half of a peach or so and put it in our food processor. We haven't given Q any purees yet and I sort of wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I have to say that it was a lot of fun giving him puree and spoon feeding him - we both enjoyed it actually.
It was probably more about the fun of the spoon than the food on it, but he did consume quite a bit more food in puree form since it didn't gag him as easily. If I was really concerned with him needing more nutrition than breastmilk right now I might do more spoon feeding but as it is I think we'll be keeping it a good mix of all forms of feeding (spoon, puree, chunks, finger foods, off mom's finger, etc)

He wasn't always so sure about whole spoon thing though


No comments:

Post a Comment