Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Enemy Called Pants

The littlest one has been unbelievably cute lately. The kind of cute where I would do anything in the world to get a smile out of him or make him laugh or just get him to look at me really, he melts my heart. Do all parents love their kids this much? I hope so because it is an amazing privilege to love this little dude.

I've also been trying to reconnect with my routines and my craftiness. I've spent much of the past week just trying to get dinner on the table every night, the baby in his crib for a nap, and keep B and I healthy and rested. In other words - I've been busy being a mom.

I finally tried my hand at making a pair of pants for Q and they came out really well. I used a few different tutorials online as a guide for them but ultimately I just cut the pattern out based on a pair of pants I already have and then added a few inches everywhere to increase the size so they fit more like a 12-18 months size. I was very pleased with how they came out and very impressed that I made something that feels so accomplished - pants! I had been on a big washcloth kick before these and I was worried that everyone in my family was going to get washcloths for christmas. Albeit they are very nice washcloths - super soft flannel on one side in an adorable print and then a complimenting color of terry on the other - who wouldn't like that?

For the next pair I'd like to create a higher rise and a better fit for cloth diapers. I'm going to use
these great guidelines for making alterations to my next pair. I chose to go with a woven fabric for the first pair so I wouldn't have to think about the stretchiness of a knit while sewing, but I think I'm ready to make a pair of knit pants next. I think the knit will fit and feel better than this first pair and I have a box of old tshirts that I'd love to turn into baby pants. All in all though, I was very pleased with myself!

What should I make next?

No comments:

Post a Comment