Friday, November 13, 2009

Crafts & Traditions


Does anybody else feel like it went from the end of summer straight to the beginning of the holidays? I am not quite sure where the time goes anymore.

I've got all sorts of fun holiday crafts in the works and on top of that I'm about to move so I'm not sure how much I'll get the chance to share on here, but I wanted to mention a project that I'm about to start on - an advent calendar. I'm still in the planning stages but I think I'm going to sew something to hang on the wall with a pocket of some sort for each date. I want the pockets to be big enough to hold a piece of candy or a small present. I want to make something that our family will be able to enjoy for years to come.

Maybe something like this, or this where you put decorations on. Oooh, I like this one too. I like the idea of putting buttons on the tree and being able to hang decorations from them. I'm not sure I want to have the decorations in the pockets but that might be fun too.Please link me to any other ideas or suggestions you come across.

I really want to make the calendar something of a family heirloom. That's a lot to expect from myself - a total novice sewer. Maybe I can get my mom to help me with it. I had originally wanted to make a wooden one but I could never quite come up with how I wanted it to be. I might try to do that at some point as well. My neighbors had a nice wooden one growing up and I always admired it.

In the same vein as the advent calendar, I've been working on a birthday banner for Q. His birthday is a little over 3 months away and I have a number of ideas for cute homemade decorations and things - candle holders, gifts, birthday crown, etc. The banner is just about done but I don't have a picture of it yet. I like it a lot but I might try making a few other banners as well to see what style I like better (felt, fabric, triangle, square, etc..).

Since Q was born I've felt even more of a need than usual to create. More specifically I feel the need to create things for our family to have and use for years to come. I want to make family traditions, I want to have special, simple homemade items that we can enjoy together for the rest of our lives. That's a lot to ask of some simple craft projects but it inspires me to get better at sewing and crafting in general and it gives me lots of fun project ideas. So for now I'm trying to focus on christmas crafts. Oh, and moving, and I have been feeling the desire to do a big jigsaw puzzle. How on earth am I going to do a big jigsaw puzzle with a 9 month old underfoot?

No comments:

Post a Comment